UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Castle Quest
  Building Blocks
  Term for the top of a tower

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Term for the top of a tower
posted 10-18-2004 12:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for itsme   Click Here to Email itsme     Edit/Delete Message
Research is always so fun! I'm looking for the proper name, if there is one, for the top of a castle tower? Or is it just called the top of a tower? How big would this area be, approximately, if it was a "normal" sized tower? And it would be bordered by crenellations? Or would it be a solid wall surrounding the edge? And approximately how tall would those be? Thank you for your help!

posted 10-19-2004 04:30 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Levan   Click Here to Email Levan     Edit/Delete Message
I'm afraid there's no such thing as 'normal'!

Some towers have crenellations; some don't. Some have solid walls; others are decorated with finials and water spouts. Some have cap-houses; some have belvederes; some have cupolas or plain conical roofs; some flat; others towers are topped with overhanging wooden hoardings and machicolations.

Basically, they're all different depending on when and where they were built, by whom and why! Do you have any particular types of castle in mind?

posted 10-19-2004 10:47 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Maria   Click Here to Email Maria     Edit/Delete Message
In the Lazarea Castle, which is in the center of Romania, the two towers were called cabbage tower and cheese tower, because they used to store cabbage and cheese in them during the winter. Those were also the towers where the sons of the nobleman slept, in the upper rooms. The rooms were square, with little windows and thick walls.
If you're doing research for a novel, I suppose the name of the towers isn't noble enough. But it's practical (and funny).

posted 10-20-2004 06:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for itsme   Click Here to Email itsme     Edit/Delete Message
Well I see I didn't give enough information! :-) I have in mind a tower that has a flat top where you could go to look out over the countryside. Or maybe have a roofside garden area. I just thought maybe it had a proper name of some sort rather than just the tower top or something general like that.

All times are PT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Castles on the Web

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Version 5.40
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 1999.

Castles on the WebHome
Castles on the WebIntroduction
Castles on the WebCastle Quest
Castles on the WebSite of the Day
Castles on the WebCastle Tours
Castles on the WebCastle Collections
Castles on the WebNew Sites
Castles on the WebPopular Sites
Castles on the WebPhoto Archive
Castles on the WebMiscellaneous
Castles on the WebCastles for Kids
Castles on the WebCastle Glossary
Castles on the WebPalaces & Homes
Castles on the WebMedieval Studies
Castles on the WebAccommodations
Castles on the WebTop Rated
Castles on the WebCastle Postcards
Castles on the WebHeraldry Links
Castles on the WebMyths & Legends
Castles on the WebOrganizations
Castles on the WebCastle Books
Castles on the WebAbbeys & Churches
Castles on the WebWeapons/Supplies
Castles on the WebRandom Site
Castles on the WebAdd A Castle Site
Castles on the WebAcknowledgements
Castles on the WebSearch Options
Castles on the WebPlease Help Us!
Castles on the WebPlease Link To Us
Castles on the WebContact Us

Castles on the Web Copyright 1995- | Privacy Policy