UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Castle Quest
  School Projects
  school project

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   school project
posted 03-19-2006 09:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mydogbiscuit   Click Here to Email mydogbiscuit     Edit/Delete Message
I am in 6th grade and I am building a castle for a school project and we were given a list of requirements to include in this model. I have been able to figure out what most of them are, but am unsure of a few of them. I can't ask my teacher because she is at our school only on Thursdays and that is when this project is due.
1. Is the parafet (paraphet) and the outer curtain the same thing? (they are both listed)
2. Is the rampart the same as the the parafet and/or outercurtain? (also, both are listed)
3. Is the main wall the inner curtain?
4. Is the main gate part of the drawbridge system? If so, how do you put a wicket in it?
5. Is the moat between the main wall and the outerwall(s)?
6. I have to include a parados, is that related to a wall walk, or is it just another wall with a space between it and the main wall?

I thought I understood this project until I started looking up all the definitions to these terms!

posted 03-20-2006 05:01 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Maria   Click Here to Email Maria     Edit/Delete Message
for some of the answers look here http://www.castlesontheweb.com/glossary.html

posted 03-20-2006 10:21 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mydogbiscuit   Click Here to Email mydogbiscuit     Edit/Delete Message
That is the site my mom and I looked the definitions up on.

rampart - defensive stone or earth wall surrounding castle

paraphet (parafet / parapet - I've seen all these spellings) - low wall on outside of main wall

outer curtain - the wall that encloses the outer ward

outer ward - the area around the outside of and adjacent to the inner curtain

inner curtain - the high wall that surrounds the inner ward

inner ward - the open area in the center of a castle

parados - low wall in inner side of main wall

Ok. these definitions don't clear up our questions, they caused the questions. They are all walls. So, to have these walls in this model, I need to have 5 walls? Plus the main wall? That makes 6 walls(!?)

So, again, I ask: are they different walls? Or different names for the same walls? Also, where does the moat go? Between which of these walls? Or does it matter?

And, I have found drawings of how a drawbridge works and it, in its design, forms a "door" of sorts when the drawbridge is raised. Is this "door" the main gate door, or is there another door that is in place when the drawbridge is lowered. She needs to include a wicket (a person-sized door in the main gate door).

I promise, we have spent hours online looking for answers. My mom and I have read through your site, going back to "all responses" and following links suggested here. (Many of which do not work).

I am not trying to get out of researching... We just can't find these answers anywhere. We both appreciate any help. Please look at our questions in the original post again. I counted and altogether there would be 6 walls if none of them are the same thing so I'm really hoping that they're different.

[This message has been edited by mydogbiscuit (edited 03-20-2006).]

posted 03-21-2006 11:35 AM           Edit/Delete Message
I beleive that you are refering to a concentric castle (Walls within walls) such as Beaumaris in Wales.Take a look at this plan http://www.castles.org/architecture/architecture_14.htm and see if it gives you any ideas.


posted 03-21-2006 01:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Maria   Click Here to Email Maria     Edit/Delete Message
The parados is related to the wall walk (it is a shorter wall with no space from it to the main wall, inside, where soldiers walk.
The parapet is a small wall on the edge of the main wall. The bit on top, as it were, that everyone associates with castles walls.http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/forts/glossary/parapet.htm
About the rest of the terms, I suggest using the google definition facility. You type <<define:>> before the word and Google lists all the definitions it finds. You will find that the definitions differ depending on the type of castle you want to build.

All times are PT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Castles on the Web

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Version 5.40
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 1999.

Castles on the WebHome
Castles on the WebIntroduction
Castles on the WebCastle Quest
Castles on the WebSite of the Day
Castles on the WebCastle Tours
Castles on the WebCastle Collections
Castles on the WebNew Sites
Castles on the WebPopular Sites
Castles on the WebPhoto Archive
Castles on the WebMiscellaneous
Castles on the WebCastles for Kids
Castles on the WebCastle Glossary
Castles on the WebPalaces & Homes
Castles on the WebMedieval Studies
Castles on the WebAccommodations
Castles on the WebTop Rated
Castles on the WebCastle Postcards
Castles on the WebHeraldry Links
Castles on the WebMyths & Legends
Castles on the WebOrganizations
Castles on the WebCastle Books
Castles on the WebAbbeys & Churches
Castles on the WebWeapons/Supplies
Castles on the WebRandom Site
Castles on the WebAdd A Castle Site
Castles on the WebAcknowledgements
Castles on the WebSearch Options
Castles on the WebPlease Help Us!
Castles on the WebPlease Link To Us
Castles on the WebContact Us

Castles on the Web Copyright 1995- | Privacy Policy